- Operates as a partnership of organizations to include: Central Intelligence Agency; Department of Justice/Federal Bureau of Investigation; Departments of State, Defense, and Homeland Security; and other entities that provide unique expertise such as the Departments of Energy, Treasury, Agriculture, Transportation, and Health and Human Services; Nuclear Regulatory Commission; and the U.S. Capitol Hill Police.
- Chairs interagency meetings and video teleconferences on terrorist groups, capabilities, plans and intentions, and emerging threats to U.S. interests at home and abroad.
- Chairs and/or supports interagency groups orchestrating and facilitating an efficient and effective allocation of U.S. government terrorism analysis assets, to include appropriate, planned redundancy.
- Produces integrated and interagency-coordinated analytic assessments on terrorism issues and publishes warnings, alerts, and advisories as appropriate.
- Maintains the national repository of known and suspected terrorists.
- Manages a Joint Operations Center to provide unique insight and situational awareness of developing terrorism-related worldwide issues and events.
- Operates a secure website, NCTC Online CURRENT, which serves as the primary dissemination mechanism for terrorism information produced by the NCTC and other counterterrorism mission partners to include international partners. NCTC Online CURRENT is directly available to a broad audience to include U.S. government partners with an operational focus such as the FBI's Joint Terrorism Task Forces and DoD's combatant commands.
- Supports a process led by the Executive Office of the President to improve terrorism information sharing within the Intelligence Community and with the rest of the federal government and beyond.
- Provides an interagency forum and supporting process to link national-level counterterrorism policy to strategic operational objectives and tasks for counterterrorism.
- Develops, integrates, implements, and measures the effectiveness and progress of strategic operational plans for U.S. counterterrorism activity.
- Assigns roles and responsibilities to lead Departments or agencies for counterterrorism activities according to strategic operational plans and consistent with applicable laws.
To integrate and orchestrate the formidable capabilities of the U.S. government dedicated to defeating the scourge of international terrorism and reducing the threat to U.S. interests at home and abroad.